Donabe Rice is the first recipe of Sweetness and Lightning.
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 430 ml water - try to have between 1.2 and 1.3 times as much water as rice.
- dash of sake
- Wash the rice, then pour it and the water into the donabe. Cover and heat on medium high. When it seems ready to boil over, turn the heat to low and cook for 13 minutes.
- Add a bit of flavor by putting in a little sake.
- Turn the heat to high for 30 seconds, then turn off the heat and let it steam for ten minutes. Remove the lid and stir.
- You can adjust the amount of water and the heat settings to your taste.
How the clean rice to make it delicious.
- Put the rice in a metal strainer. Soak the whole thing in a bowl filled with water. Stir the rice around with your hands and then lift it out of the water.
- Continue to stir the rice without putting it back into the water. Stir it quickly but gently.
- Get a fresh bowl of water and soak/mix again. Make sure the rice bran is getting rinsed off. Strain and stir. Repeat.
- When the water no longer clouds up, strain the rice and let it sit for 30 minutes in the summer or an hour in winter (to absorb the moisture).