The Promised Salisbury Steak is the third recipe in Sweetness and Lightning.
- 300 g mixed ground pork and beef
- 1 onion
- 1/2 egg - fry up the rest and eat it!
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One sunny-side up egg for each person
- A: 1 clove garlic (minced), 2 bay leaves
- B: 1/2 tsp salt, dash of pepper
- 1400 g can diced tomatoes
- Mince the onion and cook it thoroughly in the olive oil until translucent, then take it out and let it cool. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk. Beat the egg.
- Put the meat into a bowl and mix with salt and pepper until combined. Add the ingredients from Step 1 (reserving half of the onion) and mix until it starts to stick together.
- Divide what you made in Step 2 into three or four portions and toss them between your hands to help the meat bind. Shape into patties and make a little depression in the middle using your finger.
- Using the frying pan from Step 1, cook the patties from 3. (If it's not a non-stick frying pan, put down some oil) Cook on medium heat.Once both sides are brown, remove and put on a plate.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to the frying pan from Step 4. Add sauce ingredients A and cook on low heat. Once they start to smell good, put in the rest of the onions from Step 1 and the canned tomatoes. Add the ingredients from B and stew for about 5 minutes. Then return the patties to the pan, cover, and stew for 7 minutes.
- Take out the bay leaves, then reduce the sauce, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn
- Top with the sunny-side eggs you cooked ahead of time.
- You can add bouillon cubes, ketchup, or oyster sauce to the sauce.
- Mix in part of the egg when you eat it.