Chawanmushi is the fifth recipe in Sweetness and Lightning.
Dashi Stock recipe
- 1 L of water
- 40 g katsuobushi
- 10 cm sq piece konbu
- Put the water and konbu into a stockpot on medium heat, and take out the konbu just before it boils.
- Add the katsuobushi to the pot. Once the katsuobushi start to sink, turn off the heat and remove scum from the stock's surface. Once the katsuobushi completely sink, strain them gently.
- If you squeeze the katsuobushi when you strain them, the dashi won't taste right, so be careful!
- 3 eggs
- mitsuba to taste
- A: 450 cc dashi stock (3x the amount of eggs), 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 scant tsp salt, 1 tsp sake
- Beat the eggs, making sure that bubbles don't form. Add the ingredients from A. Mix carefully and then strain!
- Cut the kamaboko into bite-sized pieces. Place a couple in the bottom of each dish before pouring in the egg mix from step 1. Cover each cup with aluminum foil.
- Fill a big pot with water, about one third of the height of the cups, and heat. When the water boils, put the cups from step 2 into the pot. Put the lid on the pot loosely, and after 2 minutes turn to low heat.
- After the cups steam for 15-20 minutes, remove and place mistuba on the egg surface. Reseal with aluminum foil and let steam a little longer.